Healthy Tips for that Flavorful Burger!
With Memorial Day right around the corner, its about that time where we should take a hard look at how we can enjoy our burger, and we can eat it too! Let’s infuse big flavor, enjoyable bites and an exciting grill day into our healthy life plan using these flavorful tips!
- Swap plain, protein-rich Greek yogurt or sliced and mashed avocado in place of mayo for a healthier spread.
- Instead of classic white bread crumbs try using Whole Wheat or try ground nuts (such as hazelnut or almond) for a healthier filler that’s also gluten-free.
- Instead of reaching for that Sour Cream based spread, why not use a Greek Yogurt spread? Try this recipe from Fage Yogurts Website!
- Add fresh herbs to your burger for a healthy, low-calorie flavor-booster. For an herbaceous burger grab some fresh Rosemary, Coriander or Oregano, and if you like spice reach for the cajun or cayenne! I like to add the spice into the essence of the burger, rather than just adding it while cooking.
- Sneak more veggie servings into your day by tossing chopped spinach or other leafy greens into the burger mixture, or add an extra topping or spinach or Butter Leaf lettuce (Because Romaine is so cliche!)
- Spice up a burger with sriracha, Jalapeno based hot sauce, or chipotle-infused spreads for lots of low-calorie heat and a little metabolism boost. If you use white spreads, be careful to watch the fat content. There are so many GREAT ways to use herbs and spices to add big flavor for low calories!
- Go easy on the cheese. Skip the fat-free stuff, because “no fat” means chemicals and additives have been added to make the cheese kinda-sorta seem like real food when it isn’t. Instead, choose a small portion of your favorite kind, fat and all. If you’ve got a block of cheese instead of thin slices, try grating it for even coverage and be willing to measure it out so you use a reasonable amount!
- Go bun-less and serve a burger in a lettuce wrap, on top of a salad, or even between two slices of grilled zucchini.